World

Massacre in Niger State: Gunmen Kill Dozens in Fresh Village Attacks Across Nigeria

Coordinated raids on rural communities in Niger State have left dozens dead and homes destroyed, intensifying security concerns across Nigeria

Story Highlights
  • At least 30 people were killed after armed bandits launched coordinated motorcycle raids on villages in Niger State
  • Survivors say hundreds of gunmen stormed communities before dawn
  • The latest attacks underscore worsening insecurity across northern Nigeria

At least 30 people have been killed after heavily armed gunmen launched coordinated raids on several villages in Niger State, north-central Nigeria, in the early hours of Saturday.

Residents said the attackers, riding on motorbikes, stormed three communities in the Borgu Local Government Area near the border with Benin, shooting indiscriminately and setting homes and shops ablaze.

Survivors blamed notorious criminal gangs locally known as “bandits,” who have been responsible for years of killings, kidnappings and mass displacement across northern Nigeria.

The latest violence has intensified pressure on authorities to address the country’s worsening security situation and restore stability nationwide.

Police spokesperson Wasiu Abiodun confirmed that Tunga-Makeri village was among the communities hit, reporting six deaths and several houses destroyed.

“Suspected bandits invaded Tunga-Makeri village … six persons lost their lives, and some houses were also set ablaze,” Abiodun stated, adding that the attackers later advanced toward Konkoso village while details from other affected areas were still being verified.

Residents, however, say the death toll is far higher. Jeremiah Timothy, who fled Konkoso, said the assault began before dawn with heavy gunfire.

“At least 26 people were killed so far in the village after they set the police station ablaze,” he said, noting that the attackers arrived around 6 a.m. and opened fire as residents fled into nearby bushland.

Another witness, speaking anonymously, claimed more than 200 motorcycles carried gunmen who swept through the area in waves.

Auwal Ibrahim, a resident of Tunga-Makeri, described a separate 3 a.m. attack marked by intense gunfire and arson.

“The bandits stormed our town riding many motorcycles while shooting sporadically,” he said, adding that shops were burned and villagers forced to flee under panic.

Many displaced residents now fear returning home as gunmen are reportedly still lurking in nearby areas.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button