Politics

Wontumi to Pursue NPP Chairmanship Bid Despite Prison Sentence – Spokesperson

Palgrave Boakye-Dankwah says Wontumi’s supporters will pick and file nomination forms on his behalf despite questions over his eligibility.

Story Highlights
  • Wontumi’s supporters to pick nomination forms.
  • Spokesperson insists his bid will continue.
  • His eligibility remains under scrutiny.

Dr Palgrave Boakye-Dankwah, spokesperson for Bernard Antwi Boasiako, popularly known as Chairman Wontumi, says the politician’s incarceration will not prevent him from pursuing his bid to become the next national chairman of the New Patriotic Party (NPP).

Dr Boakye-Dankwah said supporters of the former Ashanti Regional Chairman would pick up nomination forms on his behalf before the end of the week.

He said Wontumi remains committed to his ambition of leading the party and intends to proceed with the nomination process despite his imprisonment.

“Chairman Wontumi is a politician. His friends believe in his ambition, and they are going to make sure that his form will be picked, submitted and filed.”

Dr Boakye-Dankwah argued that there was no legal barrier preventing Wontumi’s supporters from obtaining and filing the nomination forms on his behalf.

He explained that the supporters consider Wontumi a political prisoner and believe he should be given the opportunity to contest the internal election.

The move comes amid questions over provisions in the NPP’s constitution concerning members who have been convicted and sentenced for certain offences.

Despite the concerns, the spokesperson said Wontumi’s campaign team would proceed with the nomination process and address any challenges that may arise subsequently.

He disclosed that the forms were expected to be picked up on Friday and taken to Wontumi for his signature before being submitted to the party.

Dr Boakye-Dankwah also dismissed calls for Wontumi to concentrate exclusively on his legal case rather than pursue the party leadership position.

According to him, Wontumi had already made significant progress in his campaign before his imprisonment, having toured all 16 regions and 276 constituencies.

“Chairman was one of the first persons who stepped into the competition. He’s done his first round of the campaign already,” he said.

Wontumi was sentenced to 20 years in prison over illegal mining activities on the Samreboi concession in the Western Region.

Justice Audrey Kocuvie-Tay, presiding over the Criminal Division of the High Court, handed down the sentence on Monday, July 20, 2026.

The court also imposed a fine of 10,000 penalty units, equivalent to GH¢120,000, with a default sentence of three years’ imprisonment if the fine is not paid.

Wontumi’s intended bid is now set to test how the NPP’s internal electoral rules apply to a candidate who is currently serving a prison sentence.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button