Gov’t Fully Committed to Galamsey Fight – Defence Minister Assures
Dr. Omane Boamah outlines renewed efforts backed by political will

- Gov’t renews commitment to fight illegal mining with strong political backing
- Ghana Armed Forces and Navy lead key operations against galamsey
- New national secretariat formed to coordinate anti-galamsey efforts
Defence Minister Dr. Edward Omane Boamah says the government remains firmly committed to ending illegal mining, commonly known as galamsey, through a renewed and coordinated national effort.
Speaking at the Government Accountability Series on Monday, July 21, Dr. Boamah acknowledged that while some gains have been made, illegal mining continues to pose a serious threat to Ghana’s environment and natural resources.
However, he emphasized that there is strong political backing to sustain and intensify the fight.
“We’re not out of the woods yet, but there is hope because there is political will at the very top,” he said.
He announced that a comprehensive review of past anti-galamsey efforts has led to institutional reforms, including the establishment of the National Anti-Illegal Mining Operations Secretariat to strengthen coordination and enforcement.
Dr. Boamah also credited the Ghana Armed Forces for spearheading forest recovery operations earlier this year, reclaiming areas previously considered too dangerous for forest guards to enter due to galamsey activity.
The Ghana Navy, he added, has also played a significant role in joint operations with ground forces—especially in Operation Halt II—which targeted illegal mining activities along the River Ankobra in the Western and Western North Regions.
As environmental destruction and public concern mount, Dr. Boamah reiterated that the government is taking concrete steps to address the crisis through military, institutional, and stakeholder-driven approaches.



