Business

Payroll Audit Uncovers 14,000 Ghost Workers, GHS150m Lost – Ato Forson

Finance Minister says audit found over 14,000 unverifiable workers and 53,000 inactive staff still receiving salaries, costing Ghana more than GHS150 million.

Story Highlights
  • 14,000 workers on government payroll could not be verified
  • 53,307 separated or inactive individuals still receiving salaries
  • Government to recover GHS150.4 million and enforce payroll reforms

Finance Minister Dr. Cassiel Ato Forson has revealed alarming irregularities uncovered in a nationwide payroll audit, including over 14,000 unverified government workers and tens of thousands of separated staff still receiving salaries.

Delivering the 2025 Mid-Year Budget Review to Parliament on Thursday, July 24, Dr. Forson said the Ghana Audit Service, working under the Ministry of Finance’s directive, has completed 91% of a payroll audit across all 16 regions.

“So far, the Audit Service has been unable to identify or verify more than 14,000 individuals on the payroll,” he reported.

Even more troubling, he noted, is that 53,307 individuals—classified as retired, reassigned, terminated, on leave without pay, or deceased—are still drawing salaries from the government.

According to Dr. Forson, these ghost payments have cost the country at least GHS150.4 million over just the 2023 and 2024 period.

He called the findings “alarming” and vowed to crack down on payroll fraud by enforcing monthly validation and introducing strict penalties for any breaches going forward.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button