Guinea-Bissau Military Leader Sworn in as Transitional President After Coup
General Horta Inta-A assumes transitional presidency one day after military ousts Embalo

- General Horta Inta-A sworn in as transitional president one day after the military ousted President Umaro Sissoco Embalo
- African Union condemns the coup and calls for the immediate release of Embalo and other detained officials
- Election results delayed as the military asserts control, leaving Guinea-Bissau’s political process uncertain
General Horta Inta-A has assumed the role of transitional president of Guinea-Bissau, following a military takeover that deposed President Umaro Sissoco Embalo on Wednesday, marking the latest political upheaval in the West African nation.
“I have just been sworn in to lead the high command,” Inta-A said after taking the oath during a ceremony at the military headquarters on Thursday, according to AFP reporters present.
Previously serving as chief of staff of the country’s army, Inta-A had maintained close ties with Embalo in recent years. He justified the military action, stating that there was “sufficient evidence to justify the operation” and that urgent measures were required with the participation of all citizens.
The African Union (AU) condemned the coup, calling for the immediate and unconditional release of Embalo and other detained officials, according to an AU statement.
The military officers, referring to themselves as the High Military Command for the Restoration of Order, announced Embalo’s ouster in a televised address on Wednesday. The move came just a day before provisional results were expected in a tightly contested presidential election between Embalo and Fernando Dias, a political newcomer who had emerged as his main challenger.
On Thursday, the capital Bissau remained mostly calm, with soldiers patrolling the streets and residents largely staying indoors, even after an overnight curfew was lifted.
Gunfire had been reported on Wednesday near the election commission, presidential palace, and Ministry of the Interior, coinciding with the military’s claim of “total control” over the country following both leading candidates declaring victory.
Speaking to France24, Embalo said he had been deposed and was “currently at the general staff headquarters”, though his exact whereabouts remained unclear on Thursday.
From neighboring Senegal, Al Jazeera’s Nicolas Haque noted that Inta-A’s swearing-in has cast doubt over Guinea-Bissau’s electoral process.
“It appears that an election may still occur, but likely not in the near future,” Haque said.
He added that Inta-A’s swearing-in alongside top military officials underscores the general’s support from the country’s most powerful force, a significant factor in Guinea-Bissau’s history of recurrent coups.



