Galamsey Clash in Twifo Atti-Morkwa Leaves Three Critically Injured
Three critically injured after a violent dispute over illegal mining fees at Aboboye in the Central Region

- Three critically injured in violent clash over galamsey fees at Aboboye, Twifo Atti-Morkwa
- DCE accuses District NADMO Director and associates of unauthorized involvement in illegal mining operations
- Apprehended suspects claim they acted on NADMO Director’s instructions; police have taken them into custody
Three individuals are in critical condition following a violent confrontation between illegal miners and a group of men at Aboboye, a galamsey-prone community in the Twifo Atti-Morkwa District, Central Region.
According to reports, six men from Tarkwa in the Western Region arrived at the mining site on Saturday, November 15, claiming they were instructed by the Twifo Praso District NADMO Director, James Prah, to collect money from illegal miners. The group demanded GH₵20,000, but the miners offered only GH₵2,000, citing poor business that day, which led to a heated dispute.
The disagreement escalated into a violent clash, during which pumping machines and other mining equipment were set ablaze. Three of the men were seriously injured, rushed to a nearby hospital, and subsequently arrested by the police. The remaining three managed to escape.
Twifo Atti-Morkwa District Chief Executive (DCE), Isaac Yawson, accused the NADMO Director and his associates of conducting unauthorized and illegal mining operations across the district without the approval of the District Security Council (DISEC). Yawson explained that James Prah had previously misled the Regional NADMO Directorate regarding the scale of illegal mining on the River Pra, prompting an official inspection that revealed the situation had been misrepresented.
The DCE said the six-man team from Tarkwa allegedly acted under the NADMO Director’s instructions, leading to the violent confrontation. The apprehended men were handed over to the police, while their alleged accomplices fled.
During police questioning, the suspects claimed they were acting on the District NADMO Director’s orders. Yawson described the officer’s actions as “highly irresponsible” and said James Prah would be summoned before DISEC to account for his conduct. When contacted, the District NADMO Director declined to comment, citing advice from political party officials.



